Sunday, August 11, 2019 - 6:11 PM by Darrell Kent


The Falcons could not have been more impressive in their forty four point victory against the Tigers on Saturday. At different times in the first half Claremont looked like running away with the game but on each occasion West Perth steadied and fought their way back into the contest. There was a lot to like about the level of fitness shown by the team as they powered away with the game in the last quarter. The Colts and Reserves went down but both teams are still on track to play finals football. It would be a real feather in the cap of the coaching staff and all those involved at the Club if all three teams take part in finals action.

Claremont started the game full of run and by the eighteen minute mark had established a nineteen point lead. West Perth had their chances early but couldn’t finish. The first score of the quarter didn’t come until the eight-minute mark. Just going into time on Mike Lourey hit the scoreboard for the Falcons. He finished from thirty on an angle. Shortly after Andrew Strijk showed real strength to score from close in and scores were all tied up at the twenty eight minute mark after a Tyler Keitel major. He marked on the goal line after some good work by Liam Tedesco. At the first change the entertaining contest saw both teams on 3.2 (20).

The second term was a hard fought contest with both teams scoring two goals. Claremont had the lead out to seven early before consecutive goals saw West Perth grab the lead. The first went to Shane Nelson who kicked one on the run from outside fifty. He had another fine game and his hard work around the ball is to be admired. Andrew Strijk was then involved in the next. A penetrating long kick hit Ben Delaporte on the chest, over the back of the pack, twenty out. It was as fine a kick as you would see at any level of football. The Falcons led by five but the Tigers finished the quarter best and led by three at the main break. The scores were 5.6 (36) to 5.3 (33). The game was set up for a tight second half.

Rudy Riddoch grabbed the lead back for West Perth at the three-minute mark of the third quarter. He intercepted a handball and scored from thirty. Rudy had had a relatively quiet first half but his second was outstanding. In many respects he was the catalyst for what was a very good last quarter and a half. The lead was short-lived, however, as Claremont piled on the pressure and as a result led by eighteen at the twenty one minute mark. Majors to Richardson, Palfrey and Mitchell had Falcons supporters concerned as the Tigers appeared to be in control. No-one could imagine that West Perth would then kick the last ten goals of the game; five in time on of the third quarter. Keegan Knott got the ball rolling after marking thirty out and then Liam Tedesco scored from twenty on the run. Tedesco did a very good job of blanketing the dangerous Jye Bolton. At the twenty seven minute mark a clever Tyler Keitel handball enabled Corey Chalmers to bounce one through. It was the first of three for the dangerous small forward. The one point lead was out to seven after Corey Chalmers received a free thirty out to kick his second and Connor West completed the remarkable turnaround when he took the ball off hands to score from forty five. At the final change West Perth led by thirteen; 11.5 (71) to 8.10 (58).

The game was still up for grabs going into the last quarter but the Falcons dominated scoring five goals to none. They ran the game out much better than the home team. Rudy Riddoch was involved when a bullet like pass hit Andrew Strijk on the chest thirty out. “Strijky” kicked his second. Riddoch was involved again when a very clever handpass found Aaron Black who finished with a banana on the run. It was very skilful play by both players. At the fourteen minute mark the lead was out to thirty thanks to a third to Andrew Strijk. He finished with a banana, thirty out on the boundary. Behinds were the order of the day until the twenty five minute mark when “Strijky” kicked his fourth. The ten goal run was completed by Corey Chalmers who scored his third with a soccer from close in. At the final siren West Perth had won by forty four; 16.8 (104) to 8.12 (60). It was a very good win against a classy opposition. The tackling pressure of the Falcons was a highlight of their performance.

The victory sees the Falcons two games plus percentage clear in fourth spot but they have two difficult games to finish the qualifying rounds. There was a lot to like about the West Perth win and supporters must be impressed about the way the team is going. There were a number of good players and these included Tyler Keitel, Tyson Moulton, Aaron Black, Shane Nelson Andrew Strijk, Corey Chalmers, Aidan Lynch, Liam Tedesco and Rudy Riddoch. It was a team effort. The Reserves went down to the top of the ladder Tigers 19.11 (125) to 4.3 (27). Players to stand out included Sam Rotham, Lachlan Johns, Alec Johnson and Conal Lynch. They still sit in third spot. The Colts lost by seventeen; 11.8 (74) to 8.9 (57). Players to stand out included Tommy Taylor-Shreeve, Koopah Todd, Tyron Hindmarsh, Callum Johnson and Ben Johnson. A big weekend of football next weekend against Subiaco. Be there to help get the teams over the line.