Monday, May 6, 2019 - 6:48 PM by Darrell Kent

The Falcons had a great day at East Fremantle Oval on Saturday with all three grades having a win. The League team won by twenty-six, the Reserves by four and the Colts by five. It was a great fillip for the Club leading into the State gamebye next week. 

In the League encounter, East Fremantle had the first on the board early. It went to big man Cameron Loersch. His height caused problems for the West Perth defence all day. Mike Lourey evened it up for the Falcons after taking a strong pack mark thirty out. It was the first of his three for the day and his work around the ground was impressive. Another Sharks big man kicked the next. Former Docker, Luke Strnadica, scored to give the home side back the lead. Corey Chalmers then kicked the first of his two after receiving a free and fifty. East Fremantle then continued their accurate kicking by scoring the next two and as a result they led by eleven at the twenty minute mark. Andrew Strijk narrowed the margin after a strong chest mark thirty out. East Fremantle took a mark on fifty and scored after the siren to take a ten point lead into the first change. They led 5.0 (30) to 3.2 (20).

Both teams scored behinds to commence the second quarter. At the eight minute mark a clever pass by Andrew Strijk from an out of bounds on the full kick hit up Keegan Knott thirty out. His straight kick narrowed the margin to just three. The forward pressure by Keegan Knott is an important factor in the West Perth forward line. Unfortunately “Strijky” injured a calf during this quarter and battled on but was unable to play in the second half. At the eighteen minute mark former Falcon, Kody Manning, kicked one to take the lead back out to ten but West Perth finished the term the better. Corey Chalmers scrambled his second from the square and Mike Lourey did likewise after receiving a free thirty out. As a result West Perth led by four at the main break; 6.6 (42) to 6.2 (38).

The tight contest continued in the third quarter with East Fremantle having the first three scoring shots. Consequently,they led by four after ten minutes. A long kick forward by first gamer, Tom Medhat, went over the back of the pack and enabled Keegan Knott to run onto it for his second. Tom Medhat didn’t look out of place and had a very good first League game. The game swung again and the Sharks controlled the next ten minutes. They had the next four scoring shots and led by seven going into time on. Mike Lourey then marked thirty out and kicked his third before a very good Tyler Keitel pass hit Tom Medhat on the chest thirty out. The youngster calmly went back and slotted his first League goal, much to the joy of his team mates. As a result West Perth took a five point lead into the final term; 9.6 (60) to 8.7 (55). The game was well and truly still on.

At the two minute mark of the fourth quarter Shane Nelson was on the end of a series of passes when he marked thirty out. His accurate kick extended the lead. The Sharks hit back shortly after courtesy of big man, Cameron Loersch. This was to be their only score for the term as West Perth controlled the rest of the game. Laine Rasmussen marked on fifty and converted. His move to half back was an important one and his contribution on the day was substantial. Keegan Knott scored his third after a free and Tom Medhat kicked his second after marking in the square. At the final siren West Perth had recorded a hard fought, but well-deserved twenty six point victory. The final scores were 13.9 (87) to 9.7 (61).

Best players for the Falcons included Laine Rasmussen, Aaron Black, Shane Nelson, Dean Munns and Trent Manzone. It was a solid whole team effort with all players making a contribution.


The Reserves continued their impressive form by recording an11.6 (72) to 9.14 (68) victory. They had previously lost two very close encounters by less than a kick so they deserved to win a close one. The team could easily be unbeaten but the three-two start is something to build the season on. Best players included Slade Hawkins, Mitch Antonio, Connor West, Bailey Chambers and Conal Lynch.

It was also pleasing to see the Colts hang on for victory in a tight one. They won by five; 9.11 (65) to 9.6 (60). This also takes them to a three-two start to the year. Best players were Tyron Hindmarsh, Lachlan Rewell, Heath Chapman and Ben Johnson.


A week off next week because of the State game against South Australia before a game with the in-form Demons at Lathlain the week after. Good luck to the West Perth players who pull on the black and gold next week.