Falcons never in the hunt

Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 10:23 AM

By Darrell Kent

You only have to be off your game a little against the ladder leading Subiaco to not have a good day. This was the case at Arena Joondalup on Saturday when the Lions dominated from the outset and eventually ran out forty seven point winners. West Perth tried hard but lacked the polish of the visitors and as a result struggled to hit the scoreboard, only scoring three majors in the first three quarters.

The Lions set the trend for the day and controlled play to have the first six scoring shots and as a result led by sixteen midway through the term. West Perth turned the ball over but fought hard to stay in the contest despite being under constant pressure. The first Falcon score came at the eighteen minute mark and it was a behind to Andrew Strijk. He battled hard all day and was West Perth’s best. The Falcons only added one more behind for the term while Subi kicked two more majors and as a result had a very handy 4.7(31) to 0.2 (2) lead. It was obvious that the job was well and truly in front of the home team.

The second quarter was more of the same but the Falcons worked hard to stay in the contest. They were outscored two goals to one to still give themselves a sniff at half time. The only West Perth goal for the half came at the nineteen minute mark. It went to Tyson Moulton after he marked thirty out. The Falcons pressure was good but the run of the Lions ensured that they continued to have the better of the contest. At the main break the scores saw Subi lead 6.11 (47) to 1.3 (9). Even the most optimistic Falcons supporter was struggling to see a favourable result occurring from here.

At the four minute mark Rudi Riddoch showed a touch of magic to kick West Perth’s second and reduce the margin to thirty three. But as was the case for large periods of the day Subiaco took control once again and they had the next five scoring shots to lead by forty eight midway through the term. Their inaccuracy made the scoreboard look better that it could have been. Mitch Peirce kicked one late in the term after marking forty out. He worked really hard all day and had twenty nine disposals. Mitch Peirce is developing into a very good midfielder. At the final change the game was out of reach with Subi leading 9.16 (70) to 3.5 (23).

West Perth had their best ten minutes of the day to commence the final quarter and as a result reduced the margin to thirty four. “Strijky” scored from the square, Keegan Knott kicked the first of his two final quarter goals after receiving a free forty out and Jordan Mills scored from forty on an angle after a pass by Tyler Keitel. The move of “Millsy” forward, on occasion, is certainly paying dividends. The Falcons kicked two more for the quarter and as a result squared the final term with both sides scoring five goals four. At the final siren Subi had run out 14.20 (94) to 8.9 (57) winners. A margin of forty seven points.

There is no doubt that the Lions are the team to beat and they appear a realistic chance of going through the season undefeated. The League result ended what was not a good day on the field for the West Perth Football Club. All three sides were comfortably defeated. Off-field the luncheon celebration of Hall of Fame inductee, Mel Whinnen, was a highlight. Over 250 people attended to help celebrate this wonderful achievement by a wonderful player and real gentleman. Best players for the League included Andrew Strijk, Mitch Peirce, Shane Nelson, Mike Lourey and Dean Munns. The final home and away game for the season against East Perth next week will be followed by a bye before the team takes on South Fremantle in the qualifying final at Fremantle Oval. Still a way to go so hang tough and stay united as the Club moves forward.