Monday, April 3, 2017 - 10:33 AM by Darrell Kent

IT was a tight match but a 12-minute burst by Subiaco in the third quarter was enough to undo a brave West Perth effort.

The Falcons were in the contest all day but were unable to take their opportunities up forward and as a result fell 11 points short. There was no doubting the commitment of the players as they battled hard throughout the match but were unable to take home the four points.

Subiaco had the better of the first 10 minutes and led by eight after a Leigh Kitchin major. The first Falcons goal went to Kris Shannon who scored on the run after a long kick forward. It was a hectic start to the game with both teams trying to move the ball on quickly.

The dangerous Liam Ryan kicked one for the visitors midway through the term. He ended up with two for the game but overall was well beaten by Kody Manning. The lead to Subi was out to 12 when Ryan kicked his second but the Falcons steadied to kick the next two and tie up the scores.

Tyson Moulton finished from forty after a handball from Tyler Keitel and Corey Chalmers marked 45 out, allowed for the breeze and finished accurately. At the 27-minute mark Brad Stevenson for the Lions received a free 20 out. His accurate kick gave Subiaco a six-point quarter time lead; 4.2 (26) to 3.2 (20).

West Perth started the second term by far the better but unfortunately their first four shots only scored behinds. As a result when Clancy Wheeler kicked his first at the 12-minute mark the lead was out to eight. Another to Chris Phelan saw the lead progress to 14 at the midpoint of the quarter. Luke Meadows was on the end of an Andrew Strijk pass shortly after. His long kick from 50 narrowed the margin.

Not to be outdone Strijk hit the scoreboard shortly after when he was on the end of a James Batterham handball. The margin was now just two. Two behinds to the Lions followed before Keitel gave the Falcons the lead for the first time in the game. He ran onto a long kick forward by Kris Shannon to kick the first of his four. The Lions regained the lead shortly after but West Perth finished the half the best. A terrific pass by Trent Manzone hit Mark Hamilton on the chest 40 out on the boundary. The conversion was a very good kick from where he was. Keitel marked on 50 shortly after. His kick from 55 gave the Falcons a well-earned eight-point half time lead; 8.6 (54) to 7.4 (46).

It was the Ben Sokol show for the first half of the third quarter. He dominated to kick four goals, to make it five for the match, and by the 20-minute mark the visitors had established a 21-point lead. The Subiaco midfield continually sent the ball forward and the Falcons defence was under tremendous pressure.

But as had been the case all day the Falcons steadied to make inroads into the lead. Keitel kicked his third after he was rewarded for a strong tackle and his fourth followed shortly after when he marked on 50. As a result West Perth were still well and truly in the game. They trailed by nine at the final change; 12.5 (77) to 10.8 (68).

The last quarter was very tight with each side scoring only a goal each. Players from both teams were out on their feet as they struggled to run forward when their team went into attack. The first goal went to the Lions at the seven-minute mark. The lead was now 17 points. The majority of the quarter from here saw West Perth attacking consistently but they received very little reward for effort.

At the 21-minute mark Jay van Berlo marked 40 out. His straight kick reduced the margin to just 10 points but despite their best efforts this is as close as the home team could get. At the final siren Subiaco had run out 11-point winners; 13.9 (87) to 11.10 (76).

The loss was the only one for West Perth over the weekend with the 16s, Colts, Reserves and Women’s team all recording victories. The Women’s team kept their rivals, East Perth, scoreless while kicking 17.18 (120) themselves.

Congratulations to Alexander Coe who became the fourth debutant for the year. Best players for the League were Shane Nelson, Corey Chalmers, Kris Shannon and best was Kody Manning. A tough away game against South Fremantle next week. It’s a 4.15pm start; see you there.